Friday, October 12, 2007

Link: Can't add gas to tank


Posted at LandRoverforums.com: http://www.landroverforums.com/m_21434/tm.htm

Hi all,
Just picked up a 1998 discovery, was at the gas station and I was not able to add gas.
It was almost on empty, light was on, but when I was filling up, the pump will stop like it was full and I was topping off. air was coming out of the fill hole, I had to add about 1/4 to 1/3 gallon, stop and try again, was able to get 3 gallons in before I gave up, enough to continue my trip
any ideas???
many thanks


Sounds like one of the vent lines is not allowing the tank to breathe. You are going to need to have some check all the fuel filler lines and vent to find the cause.
By chance you might also want to try another fuel pump, some gas stations have warn out filler handles and they just shut off early.


I tried 2 different pumps, and someone got to the first pump Iwas using, and he had no trouble
I am going to see if I can check the vent lines
thanks


might want to check to see if the fuel gauge is faulty and reading empty instead of full?? just a thought

2 comments:

Shane said...

Had the same issue. I found that the trick was to use fuel injector cleaner, but not to pour it in the tank right away. I poured it into each fuel filler line vents which are the two little holes around the main fuel hole where a nozzle goes. I dumped a whole bottle in slowy and it made a difference and stopped the issue! Cost me $5, a paper spout, and 5 minutes!

PatrickHenryPDX said...

Hey, that's great! Thanks for the comment.